Continuing Education Fund for Nurse Practitioners - FAQs
- What is the maximum amount of funding I can request? Funding is capped at a maximum of $2,000 per application.
- Is this lifetime or one-time funding? While these funds are a one-time grant from the Ministry of Health, we recognize that nurse practitioners have been frustrated with the lack of funding for continuing education. BCCNA will continue to advocate for continuing education funding for all nurses, and will post updates as they are received.
- Can I apply for a conference or course that's already happened? No. Conferences and courses taken after the end of the next funding cycle will be considered.
- Can I use this funding to become a nurse practitioner? Not at this time. Funding is only available for active, practicing nurse practitioners in BC. However, please note that this fund is not intended to fund ongoing tuition for DNP or PhD candidates. DNP and PhD candidates may apply one-time only for tuition reimbursement.
- Can I apply for funding multiple times? Yes, we encourage you to apply often, but please note that preference will be given to first-time applicants.
- When will I learn the status of my application? The review committee will endeavour to meet within two weeks of the close of the previous funding cycle.
- Can I use the fund to pay for my professional association fees? No. The fund can not be used to pay for professional association fees.
- Are conferences covered in this funding? The review committee will assess these on a case by case basis. In general, approved conferences will have measurable learning outcomes. Please note, if conferences fees are funded, only early bird rates will be funded.
- Is there funding available for other nursing designations? Not at this time.
- Does this funding cover salary replacement and/or other incidental costs? No. Some travel costs in combination with conference fees may be covered. Please review Guidelines & Criteria for more information.
- How long do I have to submit my expenses/receipts? Receipts/expense forms must be submitted within 90 days of the end of the conference/education.
- Will the review committee look at applications with conferences/educational opportunities that occur prior to the cycle closing? Yes. The review committee will look at applicable applications prior to closing on an as needed basis.
- Can I apply more than once per cycle? Applicants are limited to one open file per funding cycle.
- Why is accommodation not covered? In order to ensure that funds are primarily used for educational purposes (and some travel), accommodation cannot be covered.
- How will I know if my application has been received? You will receive email confirmation of your application within three business days of its submission. If you have not heard within three business days, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I apply for funding for the November 17, 2017 Dorothy Wylie Health Leaders Institute day? This event, the day-long event to be held in Vancouver B.C. on the 17th of November 2017, is not eligible for funding.